These Chocolate Pretzel Brownies are so full of chocolate, it’s absolutely amazing: super rich chocolate brownies filled with chocolate pretzels and topped with chocolate chips. Plus some sea salt for a perfect finish.
You don’t even need a mixer to make this recipe. The ingredients are quickly combined in a large bowl, then baked and in no time you have the best brownies. The perfect recipe for every chocoholic. So good!
Tools & Equipment
- 22,9cm / 9-inch square baking pan
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Paring knife
- Sharp knife
- Silicone spatula
- Wire rack
Chocolate Pretzels: I used store-bought chocolate pretzels. You can also use regular pretzels, without chocolate, or make your own chocolate covered pretzels.
Make Homemade Chocolate Covered Pretzels:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 100g semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth and completely melted.
- Take a pretzel and dip it in chocolate.
- Shake the pretzel to remove excess chocolate.
- Place the pretzel on the baking sheet and put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
Brownie Texture: the texture is related to the amount of flour you use. Your brownies turn out richer and more fudgy, the less flour you use. If you prefer brownies more “cake-like”, add about 30g more flour.
Directions – How to Make Chocolate Pretzel Brownies
Preheat the oven to 163°C / 325°F. Line a 22, 9cm / 9-inch square baking pan with parchment and leave an overhang at the sides. Gather your ingredients.
Melt butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in the microwave. Work in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is completely melted. The mixture will look gritty. Cut the pretzels into small pieces.
Stir in the vanilla extract and add the eggs, one at a time. Stir after each addition. The batter will be thick and shiny now.
Add the flour and beat until completely combined. The batter will be very thick. Do not overmix the batter.
Fold in the chocolate-covered pretzels gently and place the batter in the prepared baking pan. Spread evenly.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips, the remaining chocolate-covered pretzel pieces and some sea salt on top. Bake the brownies for 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes almost clean, the brownies are done. Do not bake longer than 30 minutes.
Once the brownies are cold remove them from the pan and cut into squares or rectangles with a sharp knife. Clean the knife with a paper towel after each slice.
Storage: you can keep the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. For longer storage, you can freeze them tightly covered for up to 3 months. Thaw the brownies overnight in the fridge.
Homemade Chocolate Pretzels: as soon as the chocolate has set, cover them tightly and keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
My Summary for Chocolate Pretzel Brownies
Taste: these brownies are chocolaty, sweet and salty at the same time, but not too sweet. The perfect balance.
Texture: soft and fudgy, but also crunchy brownies because of the pretzels.
PROS: if you like chocolate, you will love these brownies. They are so full of chocolate….mmmmh!
CONS: the pretzels get softer after a couple of days, but they never last that long with me. So there’ s no problem.
More “CHOCOLATE” Recipes
- Brownie Crinkle Cookies
- Chewy Fudgy Brownies
- Chocolate Babka
- Chocolate Lava Cake
- Pumpkin Marble Cake
- 50g butter
- 250g granulated sugar
- 75g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2g salt
- 5g vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 62g all-purpose flour (550)
- 100g chocolate covered pretzels, chopped
- 65g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 163°C / 325°F. Line a 22, 9cm / 9-inch square baking pan with parchment and leave an overhang at the sides to lift out the finished brownies. Set aside.
- Melt butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl in the microwave. Work in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is completely melted. The mixture will look gritty. Let it stand for a couple of minutes, as the mixture should not be too hot.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and stir after each addition. The batter will become thick and shiny.
- Add the flour and beat, using a whisk, until completely mixed. The batter will be very thick. Do not overmix the batter at this point.
- Fold the chocolate-covered pretzels gently into the batter. Save some pretzels to sprinkle on top of the batter before baking.
- Place the batter in the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips, the remaining chocolate-covered pretzel pieces and some sea salt on top.
- Bake the brownies on the middle rack for 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes out with only a few crumbs, the brownies are done. Bake for another 3-5 minutes if they are not yet done. Do not bake longer than 30 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan, placed on a wire rack. Once the brownies are cold, you can remove them from the pan by lifting the parchment paper.
- Cut the brownies into squares or rectangles with a sharp knife. Clean the knife with a paper towel after each slice.