Sometimes you want a cake that is not too complicated or fancy, but quite simple and of course delicious. This Vanilla Loaf Cake is perfect for that. A light vanilla sponge cake, topped with a dusting of powdered sugar after baking. And that’ s pretty much it!
Most people like vanilla a lot and I can only agree with that. I love vanilla and use it a lot in baking or other desserts. This cake is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with fruit, ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce or a combination of everything.
Tools & Equipment
- Liquid measuring cup
- Loaf pan 23x13cm / 9×5-inch
- Parchment paper
- Silicone spatula
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment
- Wire Rack
Room Temperature: take the butter and eggs out of the fridge in time to have them at room temperature when you start the recipe. If the butter is too cold, it is very difficult to get a light and fluffy texture from creaming.
Vanilla Extract: use good quality vanilla extract for a perfect natural vanilla flavor. Avoid using synthetic flavor, as it tastes different for sure and very artificial in my opinion.
Decoration: to garnish, I simply dusted the the top of the cake with powdered sugar. If you prefer, you can make some icing, buttercream or cream cheese frosting and drizzle it on top. If you choose one of these options, it is best to store the cake in the fridge.
Step by Step Guide – How to Make Vanilla Loaf Cake
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, leave an overhang on the sides and weigh your ingredients.
In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on medium speed after each addition. After the last egg is incorporated beat for 1 minute on high speed, then scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Combine vanilla and milk. Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter along with the milk and mix on low speed just until the batter comes together.
Pour the batter into the pan and spread it evenly with a silicone spatula. Bake for 50-55 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake. Remove the cake from the oven, place on a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan.
Lift the cake out of the pan and place it on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
Storage: store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. The cake can be frozen, wrap it well in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.
My Summary for Vanilla Loaf Cake
Taste: this vanilla loaf cake has a buttery, vanilla taste though the vanilla flavor is not too overpowering. It’s perfect.
Texture: the cake is light, soft and fluffy on the inside, with a slightly crunchy crust on the outside.
Time: the cake is in the oven in no time. However, the baking time is a little longer here. So you need to plan on about 90 minutes total + time to cool. Compared to other cakes, the cake is done quickly, so you can make it on the fly.
More “Loaf Pan” Recipes
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 175g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 250g flour (405)
- 3g baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 120ml whole milk
- 5g vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and leave an overhang on both sides. Set aside,
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicone spatula as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute after each addition. After the last egg is incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat for 1 minute on high speed, then scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Combine the vanilla extract and milk in a liquid measuring cup.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter along with the milk and mix on low speed just until the batter comes together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a silicone spatula.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes on the middle rack. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake, therefore keep a close eye on the cake after 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, place it on a wire rack and let it cool completely in the pan.
- Lift the cake out of the pan and place it on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.