These Peanut Butter M&M Cookies have a little surprise inside. What could that possibly be? More peanut butter, of course! These are big, soft and chewy oatmeal cookies flecked with M&Ms and filled with a creamy chocolate peanut butter cup.
These cookies are quick and easy to make, so they are perfect when you have a spontaneous craving for cookies or have friends over who are in the mood for cookies. Anyone who is a fan of peanut butter will love these cookies, no matter if kids or adults. So good!
Tools & Equipment
- 2 large baking sheets
- 2 silicone baking mats or parchment paper
- Ice cream scoop
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Small bowl
- Wire rack
Oats: I used quick oats because they are more finely ground and smaller. Regular “old fashioned” oats are too big for these cookies. In case you do not have quick oats on hand, you can grind up regular oats in a food processor to make your own quick oats easily for this cookie recipe.
Peanut Butter: I used creamy peanut butter for these cookies. If you prefer the crunchy peanut butter version, feel free to use that. The only important thing is that you don’t use natural peanut butter, as it will have a negative impact on the texture of these cookies.
M&Ms: You can use any kind of M&Ms, for example mini, chocolate, crispy or peanut butter. Use whatever you like best. I chose peanut M&Ms, they are huge but I love them and I think they are perfect for this cookie.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
Step by Step Guide – How to Make Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Melt butter in the microwave.
Whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Stir in the egg first, followed by the peanut butter.
Add the vanilla extract and whisk until combined. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. The dough will be very soft.
Fold in the oats and the M&Ms. Let the cookie dough rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes. The oats absorb some of the moisture, making the dough easier to handle.
Take 30g of dough and flatten it slightly in your hand. Place a peanut butter cup on top. Cover with another 30g of dough, seal the sides so that the peanut butter cup is stuffed inside, then shape into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and peanut butter cups.
Bake the cookies for about 13-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Storage: You can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze baked cookies in an airtight container or zipper bag for up to 3 months. You can freeze cookie dough balls by preparing them as described above. Place the shaped balls on a baking sheet and chill in the fridge until firm and ready to handle (this is necessary because the cookie dough is very sticky). Once firm, freeze the balls in zipper bags. Do not thaw before baking and bake for an extra 1-2 minutes.
My Summary for Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
Difficulty: Simple. You don’t need a mixer for this recipe.
Taste: These cookies have a great peanut butter flavor, this is really the star of the cookie and the peanut M&Ms perfect the result.
Texture: The oats are responsible for the even texture. Using brown sugar keeps the cookies soft and chewy and the M&Ms add a nice crunch to the cookies.
Time: It takes about 30 minutes to prepare the dough. No need to chill the dough, but let it stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes to make it easier to work with (the dough is sticky). Baking time is about 13-15 minutes per baking sheet.
More PEANUT BUTTER or OATMEAL Recipes
- Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Digestive Biscuits
- Dulce de Leche Peanut Butter Cake
- Peanut Butter Eggs
- Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- 95g all-purpose flour (550)
- 1,5g (1/4 tsp) salt
- 3g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 115g butter, melted
- 200g light brown sugar
- 1 large (70g) egg, at room temperature
- 125g peanut butter, creamy
- 10ml vanilla extract
- 160g quick oats
- 210g M&Ms
- 15 peanut butter cups
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until no lumps of brown sugar remain.
- Stir in the egg first, followed by the peanut butter. Finally, add the vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a silicone spatula to mix together. The dough will be very soft.
- Fold in the oats and the M&Ms with a silicone spatula.
- Let the cookie dough rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes. That way the oats will absorb some of the moisture, making the dough much easier to work with.
- Take 30g of dough and flatten it slightly in the palm of your hand. Place a peanut butter cup on top. Cover the peanut butter cup with another 30g of cookie dough, seal the sides so that the peanut butter cup is completely stuffed inside, then shape into a ball.
- Place the ball on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining dough and peanut butter cups.
- Bake the cookies on the middle rack for about 13-15 minutes. The cookies will look very soft, that's fine because they will continue to bake on the baking sheet.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes.
- Place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.