These irresistible Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars are made with a layer of crumbly crust and a bunch of sweet toppings held together by sweetened condensed milk. The ultimate treat and every sweet tooth’s dream.
One bite and you know how addictive these bars can be. That’s why they make a great gift, especially for the holidays. Beautifully wrapped on a decorative plate or in a Christmas tin and you have something awesome and homemade for family, friends or coworkers.
By the way, this recipe is perfect to make together with kids during the holiday season. It’s simple, doesn’t take too long and the best part is that while making these bars, the kids can sample all the ingredients. Doesn’t that sound like fun?
Tools & Equipment
- 20cm/8-inch square baking pan
- Cutting board
- Food processor
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Paring knife
- Small bowl
- Wire rack
The Crust: For these bars, the crust is a little thicker than in other recipes. If you are not a fan of this, simply reduce the amount of butter biscuit cookies and melted butter by 20-30%. If you prefer, you can use graham crackers instead of butter biscuit cookies.
Shredded Coconut: I used unsweetened shredded coconut in this recipe because for my taste, the bars are already very sweet. However, you can also use sweetened shredded coconut if you like them better.
Serve: You can serve this dessert while still slightly warm or at room temperature. Alternatively, you can let it cool and set in the fridge, then cut into squares and serve. I like these bars on their own, but also topped with some ice cream. Both options taste delicious.
Ingredients for Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
Directions – How to Make Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a 20cm/8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on each side. Chop the walnuts into small pieces and melt the butter in the microwave.
Place the butter biscuit cookies in a food processor and pulse several times to get fine crumbs. Mix together the butter biscuit cookie crumbs and melted butter until the crumbs are soft and pliable.
Press the crumble mixture into the prepared lined pan. Start with a layer of 200g chocolate chips on top of the butter biscuit crust.Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
Followed by a layer of 200g butterscotch chips and 100g shredded coconut. Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top of the shredded coconut.
Cover with the rest of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. Then finish with the remaining shredded coconut and chopped walnuts. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the sweetened condensed milk begins to bubble. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Storage: You can store these Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or keep them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze these bars, tightly wrapped in foil or placed in an airtight container, for up to 3 months. To prevent them from sticking together, place parchment or wax paper between each bar. Thaw them overnight in the fridge or place them on the counter until ready to serve.
My Summary for Hello Dolly Magic Cookie Bars
Taste & Texture: These bars are made of 7 layers of delicious ingredients that magically transform into amazing cookie bars. A decadent combo of chocolate, butterscotch, coconut and walnuts. The perfect amount of chewy and crunchy goodness.
Time: You should plan on about 15 minutes for making the crust, melting the butter, and chopping the walnuts. Assembling everything with the rest of the ingredients will take another 15 minutes or so. Baking time is approximately 25-30 minutes.
More COOKIE Recipes
- Cinnamon Stars
- Linzer Cookies
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vanilla Crescents
- White Chocolate Pistachio Honey Cookies
- 170g butter, melted
- 300g butter biscuit cookie crumbs
- 270g semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 270g butterscotch chips, divided
- 125g unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 290ml sweetened condensed milk
- 70g walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a 20cm/8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on each side. Set aside.
- On a cutting board chop the walnuts into small pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
- Place the butter biscuit cookies in a food processor and pulse several times to get fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter biscuit cookie crumbs and melted butter until the crumbs are soft and pliable.
- Press the crumble mixture into the prepared lined pan.
- Layer 200g of chocolate chips, 200g of butterscotch chips and 100g of shredded coconut on top of the butter biscuit crust.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the mixture and cover with the rest of the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
- Then finish with the remaining shredded coconut and chopped walnuts.
- Place in the oven and bake on the lower rack for 25-30 minutes or until the sweetened condensed milk begins to bubble.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.