Finally, it’s that time of year again. For me, this is the perfect time to make a mouthwatering apple cake. For those of you looking for a juicy and super easy apple cake recipe, I have an apple cake with cinnamon sugar for you.
This cake requires only a couple of basic ingredients, which most of you have on hand anyway. It is made quickly, contains plenty of apple pieces and is incredible juicy. The highlight of this cake is the caramelized layer of cinnamon sugar on top.
With just a few steps you make the batter, mix in the small apple pieces and you are ready to fill the creation into your springform pan. Bake it and you will have a juicy apple dream in no time.
You can either enjoy it fresh and still slightly warm or let it cool completely and serve it the next day, when this cake also tastes super juicy, some say it tastes even better the next day. I like this cake both ways.
Tools & Equipment
- 18cm/7-inch springform pan
- 3 small bowls
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Paring knife
- Silicone spatula
- Wire rack
Apples: Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Do not use apples that are soft, mealy or mushy. For the best flavor use a mix of tart and sweet apples, such as tart Granny Smith or Braeburn and a sweet variety like Jazz or Pink Lady.
Cinnamon Sugar: I mix the ratio by taste. Since I love cinnamon, I like to add a little more. But it’s a matter of taste and if you are not into cinnamon, just use granulated sugar for the topping. I wouldn’t leave it out completely, as it adds a nice crunch and flavor to the apple cake by caramelizing during baking.
Baking: After 30-40 minutes of baking, check to see if the top of the cake is already quite browned. If needed, put aluminum foil on top for the rest of the baking time so that the cake does not get too dark (In my case it was after 30 minutes).
Ingredients for Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sugar
Directions – How to Make Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 18cm/7-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper. Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Wash, peel, core and cut the apples into small pieces.
In a large bowl whisk together sugar, vanilla sugar, melted butter and eggs until well incorporated. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Whisk until you have a smooth and creamy batter. Fold in the apples using a silicone spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and smooth the surface with a silicone spatula. Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and spread on top of the batter.
Bake for 55-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean it is done. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Release the sides of the springform pan and sprinkle the top with granulated sugar. Let the apple cake cool completely.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Storage: You can store the apple cake wrapped in plastic or under a cake dome at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze this cake for up to 3 months. Place leftover cake in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag and seal. Thaw in the fridge overnight and bring to room temperature before serving.
My Summary for Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sugar
Taste & Texture: This apple cake with cinnamon sugar tastes buttery and fruity with a nice cinnamon touch. It is a very fluffy and light cake. Perfect comfort food for me.
Time: Making the cake batter takes about 15 minutes. Baking time is between 50-60 minutes. After that, the cake needs to cool for 20 minutes before you release it from the springform pan.
More FALL Recipes
- Apple Cobbler
- Apple Crumble Cake
- Apple Pie
- Pear Almond Cake
- Pear Sour Cream Cake
- Pumpkin Marble Cake
- 150g granulated sugar
- 6g (1 1/2 tsp) vanilla sugar
- 150g butter, melted
- 3 (150g) large eggs
- 210g all-purpose flour (405)
- 10g (2 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 200g (3-4) apples, cut in small pieces
- Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- Granulated sugar for the final touch
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 18cm/7-inch springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wash, peel, core and cut the apples into small pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, vanilla sugar, melted butter and eggs until well incorporated.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and add to the egg mixture. Whisk until you have a smooth and creamy batter.
- Fold in the apples with a silicone spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and smooth the surface with a silicone spatula.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and spread on top of the batter.
- Bake on the middle rack for 55-60 minutes. To make sure the cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven. Bake for a few minutes longer if it doesn't.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Release the sides of the springform pan and sprinkle some granulated sugar on top.
- Serve still slightly warm or let the apple cake cool completely.