I love buttermilk pancakes, so I’m calling all pancake lovers! Are you craving delicious buttermilk pancakes, while getting plenty of fiber and benefiting from the health advantages of chia seeds. Then you definitely need to try these Buttermilk Chia Pancakes.
Not only do these pancakes taste amazing, they keep you feeling full thanks to their high fiber content, so you’ll feel both full and satisfied for a long time. Healthy, filling and scrumptious – doesn’t that just sound heavenly?
The secret here is not to overmix the batter – it should be quite thick, so you don’t have to worry about lumps. The batter comes together quickly, making these pancakes the perfect breakfast, even on a normal work/week day.
Tools & Equipment
- Liquid measuring bowl
- Medium bowl
- Pan or griddle
- Silicone spatula
- Small bowl
Sourdough: If you bake with sourdough and collect the discard, this recipe is perfect for adding some of the discard. As the final step, stir in about 100g of sourdough discard. There is no change in the rest of the recipe. The texture and taste of the pancakes will change slightly.
Mix the Batter: Be careful not to overmix the batter. After adding the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix only until just combined. A few lumps may remain in the batter, that’s exactly how it should be.
Grease the Pan or Griddle: You can use nonstick spray, coconut oil, vegetable oil, shortening or ghee. Butter is not a good choice, it might burn.
Ingredients for Buttermilk Chia Pancakes
Directions – How to Make Buttermilk Chia Pancakes
Pour the buttermilk into a liquid measuring cup and spread the chia seeds on top. Stir until the chia seeds are completely incorporated.
Combine whole wheat flour, hemp hearts, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and mix with a silicone spatula. Beat the eggs with a fork and melt the butter in the microwave.
Add beaten eggs, along with melted butter and buttermilk chia mixture to the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
Heat a pan or griddle to 190°C/375°F and grease with nonstick spray. Pour 2-3 tablespoon of batter into the pan or onto the griddle and bake until bubbles appear and the top of the pancakes is golden brown, for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and bake the other side, for about 1-2 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite topping.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Storage: You can wrap leftover pancakes in foil or place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze the pancakes for up to 2 month. To do so, wrap them tightly in plastic and then place them in a zipper bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on a griddle.
My Summary for Buttermilk Chia Pancakes
Taste & Texture: The Buttermilk Chia Pancakes are slightly sweet, but not too much and the chia seeds add a little crunch. They are extremely flavorful and incredibly filling. So good.
Time: Making the batter takes about 20 minutes. Baking the pancakes is 4-5 minutes on one side and then another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
How does the Addition of Sourdough affect your Pancakes?
For the pancakes on the left photo I added sourdough, on the right photo I did not use sourdough. You can see that the pancakes on the left picture are a bit thicker. It’s nice, but flavorwise I like the pancakes without sourdough a little better. But that’s just my personal preference, I think you’ll have to try it yourself to find out what tastes best to you.
More HEALTHY Recipes
- Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Quinoa Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Summer Granola
- 43g chia seeds
- 360ml buttermilk, shaken
- 90g whole wheat flour
- 43g hemp hearts
- 35g rolled oats
- 4g (1 tsp) baking powder
- 6g (1 tsp) baking soda
- 3g (1/2 tsp) salt
- 25g granulated sugar
- 30g butter, melted
- 2 (110g) large eggs
- Pour the buttermilk into a liquid measuring cup and spread the chia seeds on top.
- Stir with 2 chopsticks until the chia seeds are completely incorporated. Set aside and let soak.
- In a medium bowl combine whole wheat flour, hemp hearts, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and mix with a silicone spatula.
- Use a fork to beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- In a 2nd small bowl, melt butter in the microwave in 20-second intervals. Stir in between.
- Add beaten eggs, along with melted butter and buttermilk chia mixture to the dry ingredients, mix with a silicone spatula until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Heat a pan or griddle to 190°C/375°F and grease with nonstick spray.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoon of batter into the pan or onto the griddle, depending on desired size, and bake until bubbles appear and the top of the pancakes is golden brown, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip with a spatula and bake on the other side, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite topping. I love to use butter, maple syrup and berries.