It’s spring, so I figured it is about time to make a spring granola. This granola contains lemon and orange zest and also lemon juice. This gives it a fresh scent and taste. It is not too sweet because of the acidity coming from both the lemon and orange.
This granola is packed with healthy ingredients like pecans, oats, almonds, quinoa and flaxseed meal. For sweetening, I used maple syrup.
Whether you have it with yogurt or milk, the granola is super crunchy and really delicious. I love to add some fruit, like apples or bananas. For me, this is a great way to start the day and it’s perfect when the sun is shining and I can hear the birds chirping…that’s what spring feels like.
Tools & Equipment
- Cutting board
- Large baking sheet
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Sharp knife
- Silicone spatula
- Wire rack
Coconut Oil: the oil makes the granola crunchy. I prefer unrefined coconut oil. If you do not have or do not like it, you can replace it with olive oil.
Sweetener: I love to add maple syrup, you can also use honey instead. Natural sweeteners add a lovely flavor to the granola that regular sugar does not have.
Parchment Paper: line the baking sheet with parchment paper so the sweetener sticks to the oats and not the baking sheet.
Ingredients for this Recipe
Step by Step Guide – How to Make Spring Granola
Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop the pecans and place them in a large bowl with the oats, almonds, puffed quinoa, flax seed meal and salt. Mix to combine.
Melt the coconut oil and add it with the maple syrup, vanilla extract, lemon juice, zest and almond butter. Stir well. The mixture will look a little dry at first, keep stirring until everything is incorporated.
Spread the granola evenly all on the baking sheet and press it down. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir with a silicone spatula.
Bake for another 10-12 minutes. Let the granola cool completely on a wire rack. It will look very soft, but as it cools, it will turn crunchy. Sprinkle the coconut on top of the cooled granola and mix to combine.
Storage: fill into a sealable jar or an airtight container and store at room temperature. This way it will keep fresh for several weeks.
My Summary for Spring Granola
Taste: this granola tastes fresh, with a hint of lemon and orange. It’s not too sweet and tastes like spring.
Texture: it is super crunchy.
TIME: prep time just takes about 20 minutes, baking time is around 20-22 minutes and cooling time is also around 20 minutes. This means you need about 1 hour until the granola is done.
More “HEALTHY” Recipes
- Banana Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- Raspberry Almond Granola
- Twix Bars
- Winter Granola
- 50g pecans
- 200g old-fashioned oats
- 50g almonds sticks
- 30 g puffed quinoa
- 20 g flax seed meal
- Pinch of salt
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 60g maple syrup
- 5g vanilla extract
- 5g lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 20g almond butter
- 40g shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Chop the pecans and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the oats, almonds, puffed quinoa, flax seed meal and salt and mix to combine.
- Melt the coconut oil in a heatproof container in the microwave or on the stove in a small saucepan.
- Add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon & orange zest and almond butter and stir well with a silicone spatula. The mixture will look a little dry at first, keep stirring until everything is incorporated.
- Spread the granola evenly all over the baking sheet and press it down a little.
- Bake on the middle rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir with a silicone spatula.
- Bake for another 10-12 minutes. Keep an eye on the granola from this point on, as it can brown and burn too much from one moment to the next.
- Let the granola cool completely on a wire rack. It will look very soft, but as it cools, it will turn crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top of the cooled granola and mix to combine.