I love plums and when baked in a cake, it’s even better. This lovely Plum Cake recipe is really easy to make and the taste is absolutely delicious. A simple vanilla cake batter is baked around juicy, sweet plums which transform into a sweet goodness.
This recipe is flexible, meaning you can use a springform pan with a diameter of 20 cm/8 inches to 25 cm/10 inches. Depending on how tall you want your cake, you can bake it in either a smaller or larger pan.
This plum cake is great for dessert, but it’s also perfect for breakfast. I love to enjoy this cake in the morning topped with some yogurt accompanied by a cup of coffee. The best part, it stays moist for days as the juice from the plums soaks into the cake.
Tools & Equipment
- 23cm/9-inch springform pan
- Cutting board
- Fine-mesh strainer
- Paring knife
- Standmixer fitted with the paddle attachment
- Wire rack
Size of the Pan: I like to use a 23cm/9-inch cake pan. I think a 25cm/10-inch pan will result in a cake that is too flat. A 20cm/8-inch cake pan gives the cake a little more height. Give it a try and use the size that works best for you.
Plums: Depending on the size of the cake pan you use and the size of the plums, you will only need about 5-6 regular plums or 12-13 small plums.
Ingredients for Plum Cake
Directions – How to Make Plum Cake
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 23cm/9-inch springform pan. Wash and dry the plums, cut them in half and pit them. Sift flour through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl.
In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together sugar and butter on medium-high until light and fluffy, for about 2 minutes. Add sifted flour, baking powder, salt and eggs and beat on medium-high until well blended, for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Spoon the batter into the greased springform pan. Place the plum halves, skin side up or down, on top of the batter.
Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool on a wire rack in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and let it cool completely or serve it still slightly warm. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
Storage: Store this cake in the fridge because of the plums. Cover tightly and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, remove from the fridge 1 hour before serving.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze the cake for up to 3 months, thaw in the fridge overnight. Wrap leftover cake in foil, place in a ziplock bag and seal.
My Summary for Plum Cake
Taste & Texture: This cake tastes buttery and fruity and is not too sweet. It is a very fluffy and light cake. Perfect to enjoy on a warm late summer day.
Time: Making the cake batter and preparing the plums takes about 40 minutes. Baking time is between 40-50 minutes. After that, the cake needs to cool for at least 15 minutes before you release it from the springform pan.
More FRUITY Recipes
- Berry Meringue Cake
- Blueberry Angel Food Cake
- Peach Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Charlotte Cake
- 150g granulated sugar
- 115g butter, at room temperature
- 125g all-purpose flour (550), sifted
- 4g (1 tsp) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 (110g) large eggs
- 13 purple plums, halved and pitted
- Granulated sugar and lemon juice, for topping
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Grease a 23cm/9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the plums. Use a paring knife, cut them in half and pit them. Set aside.
- Sift flour through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, for about 2 minutes.
- Add sifted flour, baking powder, salt and eggs and beat on medium-high speed until well blended, for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a silicone spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the greased springform pan.
- Place the plum halves, skin side up or down, on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice, depending on the sweetness of the plums.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes on the middle rack, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool on a wire rack in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove the sides of the springform pan and let it cool completely or serve it still slightly warm.
- Before serving, dust with powdered sugar.