Caramelized Brown Sugar Cookies are the easiest cookies I’ve ever made. The magic happens in the oven when butter and brown sugar caramelize and the cookies get that amazing rich, crunchy flavor.
You only need a couple of simple ingredients for the dough. Instead of regular flour, I used almond flour for these cookies.
The dough is made in no time. Just stir the ingredients together on the stove and bring to a quick boil. Let the dough cool for a few minutes, spoon onto the baking sheet and pop it into the oven. To sum it up, you can enjoy fresh cookies in a blink of an eye.
Tools & Equipment
- 2 large baking sheets
- 2 silicone baking mats
- Medium saucepan
- Offset spatula
- Parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl
- Wire rack
Almond Flour: make sure that your almond flour is deoiled, otherwise the cookies will spread a lot more in the oven, resulting in a completely different texture. You should be able to find this flour in most supermarkets or drugstores.
Chocolate: you can use dark, semi-sweet, white or milk chocolate. Use whatever you like best. The only important thing is that you use high quality chocolate. You’ll taste the difference, trust me.
Make Ahead: you can prepare the cookie dough up to 3 days ahead. Let it cool and keep tightly covered in the fridge until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before you continue with the recipe.
Ingredients for Caramelized Brown Sugar Cookies
Step by Step Guide – How to Make Caramelized Brown Sugar Cookies
Melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the brown sugar, almond flour, salt and light corn syrup.
Cook and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and everything is completely combined. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Let the cookie dough sit for about 5-10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 177°C/350°F. The doug will thicken as it cools.
Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough on the baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt the chocolate in the microwave until completely smooth. Spread melted chocolate on the bottom of a cookie and sandwich with another cookie. You can also dip them in melted chocolate or drizzle the chocolate over the top. Allow the chocolate to set. Therefore put the cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes or let them sit at room temperature for 40 minutes.
Storage: store cookies without chocolate filling covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookies with chocolate will keep fresh covered at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You can freeze baked cookies, both with and without chocolate filling, for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
My Summary for Caramelized Brown Sugar Cookies
Taste: the cookies taste sweet, buttery and like caramel.
Texture: these brown sugar cookies are mostly crunchy and only a little chewy in the center. The chocolate filling melts in your mouth, just delicious.
Time: they are made in no time. From making the dough to placing them in the oven, you only need 20 minutes and baking time is only 10 minutes. To sum it up, these cookies are done in 30 minutes. If you use chocolate, it will take another 30 minutes.
More ” COOKIE” Recipes
- Cookies & Cream Cookies
- Digestive Biscuits
- Lace Cookies
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 115g butter
- 130g light brown sugar
- 75g almond flour, deoiled
- 3g salt
- 15ml light corn syrup
- 5g vanilla extract
- 110g milk chocolate, melted
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the brown sugar, almond flour, salt and light corn syrup. Cook and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and everything is completely combined, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. The mixture will be grainy and glossy.
- Let the cookie dough sit for about 5-10 minutes while you preheat the oven to 177°C/350°F. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of dough about 5cm/2-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stopping and stirring in between, until completely smooth.
- Use an offset spatula and spread the melted chocolate on the bottom of a cooled cookie and sandwich with another cookie. Instead of sandwiching the cookies, you can dip them in melted chocolate or drizzle the chocolate over the top.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely. Put the cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes or let them sit at room temperature for 40 minutes.